How many times have you caught yourself staring at photos and postcards of sandy Bahamas beaches and turquoise Bahamas sea?
Have you ever dreamed of the exotic beaches of the Bahamas for Christmas?
Do you believe your tropical dream of Christmas vacation in Nassau and the Bahamas in winter can come true?
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN COMPENSATED LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLAIMER FOR MORE INFO.
BAHAMAS IN WINTER: BEST TIME TO GO TO BAHAMAS
1. BAHAMAS WHEN TO GO
The best time to visit the Bahamas is winter for pleasant weather (no rain, no hurricanes), wonderful sandy beaches, and an amazing festive season (Christmas with Junkanoo festival).
The Bahamas at Christmas time grant unforgettable Christmas vacation with amazing exotic beaches, and spectacular Bahamian Junkanoo festival.
While summer in the Bahamas brings the hot and humid weather with showers and the possibility of hurricanes, winter in the Bahamas offers daily average temperatures around 25 °C (77 ° F) making the Bahamas a perfect winter destination and one of the best Christmas destinations in the world.
The Bahamas rainy season (Bahamas offseason) is from April to November. The Bahamas hurricane season goes from June to November.
Hence Bahamas summer and autumn are not the best time to travel to the Bahamas. The cheapest time to go to the Bahamas is summer and autumn though.
But, the best time to travel to the Bahamas is in the winter season.
The Bahamas high season and the best time to visit the Bahamas is from December until March. Or more precisely, the months of December, January, and February are the best time to travel to the Bahamas.
The Bahamas at Christmas and New Year’s Eve are especially popular. In fact, the Bahamas are widely known as one of the best warm Christmas destinations.
In December and January water temperatures in the Bahamas average 23 °C (74 ° F) and air temperatures average 25 °C (77 ° F).
Luckily, Bahamian islands in Central America are not far from Florida, USA, and you could easily reach the Bahamas from Miami. From Europe to the Bahamas, there is a direct flight from London to Nassau.
1. BAHAMAS FOR CHRISTMAS: NASSAU AND NEW PROVIDENCE
CHRISTMAS VACATION IN NASSAU IN THE BAHAMAS
Nassau is the capital of the Bahamas and also the biggest city, located on the island of New Providence. An interesting fact is that the city is spread across the whole island.
Nassau on New Providence Island in the Bahamas has a lovely downtown with restaurants and shops, mainly influenced by the American heritage and numerous beaches and resorts on either side of the island. But Nassau has some of the best diving sites in the Bahamas, praised as some of the best diving sites in the world overall.
I enjoyed the most Compass Point Resort in Nassau with its beautiful white sandy beach and colorful huts all around where you can stay during winter holidays. Beach of the Compass Point Resort is private and they charge 5 $ if you are not staying at the resort. Everywhere you go you can pay in Bahamian or US dollars which are equal in value.
The colorful huts of Compass Point Beach Resort are next to the ocean and you can hear the waves while sleeping. Compass Point Resort in Nassau is a tropical Bahamian delight, which I would especially recommend to arty and romantic souls for their Bahamas vacations.
Hey honeymooners, seriously, you should check out this place for your Bahamas honeymoon!
Sandyport Beach resort in Nassau is one of the best boutique resorts in the Bahamas.
Pastel-colored villas decorated in Caribbean style among palm trees are a step off the beach but away from the touristy areas of Paradise Island.
Sandyport Beach resort in Nassau in the Bahamas is a great choice if you want to recharge your batteries in a gorgeous and peaceful Bahamian stay. Click here to check out more details and the latest prices
2. BAHAMAS FOR CHRISTMAS: ATLANTIS AND PARADISE ISLAND
ATLANTIS FOR CHRISTMAS VACATION IN THE BAHAMAS
On the northeast side, New Providence is connected to Paradise Island by a bridge, where you can visit sprawling Bahamas Atlantis.
Magnificient Atlantis on Paradise Island in the Bahamas is considered one of the biggest resorts in the world where many films were shot and some interesting events took place, like shows of the most famous artists and Miss Universe.
It has a free walk-in aquarium with many fish of the region, the most typical being stingrays, which you can even encounter while swimming. Inside the resort, they have designer shops, and outside there is a shopping village with many souvenir shops.
The restaurants in Atlantis in Paradise Island are classy but pricey with some of the best fish I have ever tried. You can also enjoy Atlantis water park, casino, and nightclub.
In fact, Atlantis Bahamas features 6 resorts:
- The Cove at Atlantis – the Cove’s superb luxury oceanfront suites are the choice No1. for all those who look for an ultimate luxury stay. Click here to see more info on the Cove at Atlantis.
- The Royal at Atlantis – the iconic Atlantis Towers offer sophisticated and spacious rooms next to the world’s largest open-air marine habitat and famous Atlantis casino. Click here for more info on the Royal at Atlantis
- The Beach at Atlantis – the Beach is a great choice for all value-minded guests and for all who look for a more casual stay on the beach Click here to check out the latest prices of the Beach at Atlantis
- The Reef at Atlantis – the Reef is a perfect choice for solo travelers or couples who prefer luxurious studios and suits on the white sandy beaches with magnificent ocean views Find more info of the Reef at Atlantis here
- The Coral at Atlantis – the Coral is a great choice for families. It is more budget-friendly with prices lower than Royal and much lower than Cove. Click here for more info and the latest prices
- Harborside at Atlantis – Harborside, featuring elegant comfortable villas, is an ideal choice for families and groups of friends Click here to see the latest prices of Harborside at Atlantis
You can check out Atlantis Bahamas Map with the exact locations of the 6 resorts, all pools, activities, entertainment, and more.
3. BAHAMAS IN WINTER: BAHAMIAN JUNKANOO FESTIVAL
If you wish to spend Christmas time and New Year’s Eve in the Bahamas, then you should know that New Year’s Eve celebrations can be enjoyed either in Atlantis or downtown where the famous Junkanoo parade is held during the whole night, starting at 1 am until 10 am.
The Bahamas Junkanoo parade is a celebration of Bahamian art and Bahamas culture with amazing costumes, music, and dancing.
I spent my evening on the pool of the Atlantis resort where a local band was playing popular songs and were after midnight I witnessed a mini Junkanoo parade in all its glory.
From New Providence, you can get to some other Bahamian islands and enjoy the beautiful pristine waters, white Bahamas beaches, and some activities like snorkeling, swimming with dolphins, or stingrays in the Bahamas in winter.
On my next trip to the Bahamas, I am planning to do something I missed out on this time: to take a dip with dolphins in the Bahamas sea!
And quite frankly, I can’ wait for my next Bahamas vacation! Click here to see top tours and things to do in the Bahamas!
Have you heard of the Junkanoo parade before?
Have you visited the Bahamas? What’s your favorite Bahamian island?
Story by Jelena Krešić, a fellow traveler & blog guest.
Jelena is an avid traveler, who is fluent in English, Italian, French, and Croatian. Currently residing in Luxembourg, she is in love with the whole World.
- Best Truffle Hunting in Italy: When & Where to Go Truffle Hunting in Italy - November 4, 2023
- Best Barcelona Food Tours: 11 BEST Food & Wine Tours in Barcelona - October 31, 2023
- Traditional Foods of Barcelona: Barcelona Food Guide (2023) - October 25, 2023