Planning a trip to Los Angeles? Wondering where to stay in Los Angeles? Or what are the best neighborhoods to stay in Los Angeles? What are the best areas to stay in Los Angeles? Look no further. Here are the best places to stay in Los Angeles
If you are planning to travel to LA, and now researching where to stay in LA, here is a short intro to Los Angeles neighborhoods to help you choose your base for exploring Los Angeles:
BEST AREAS TO STAY IN LOS ANGELES
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN COMPENSATED LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLAIMER FOR MORE INFO.
Hope this article will help you to find your perfect place to stay in Los Angeles in line with your budget and needs.
Best places to stay in Los Angeles, California, USA:
1. LOS ANGELES DOWNTOWN
Los Angeles Downtown: – great area to stay in Los Angeles for travelers without a car and for nightlife. –
LA Downtown is centrally located with many art museums, trendy restaurants, and live clubs.
It covers Chinatown, Little Tokyo, the Arts District, and the Financial District. Main points of interest in LA Downtown are Frank Gehry’s Walt Disney Concert Hall, historic Olvera Street, North Grand Avenue, LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes, Hauser & Wirth, Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, Avila Adobe, Institute of Contemporary Art, and Smorgasburg market.
Vibrant and walkable LA downtown is one of the best places to stay in Los Angeles not only for travelers without a car but for travelers who would like to enjoy LA nightlife as well.
Best places to stay in downtown LA:
- The NoMad Los Angeles – fabulous 5* star hotel with several on-site dining areas and a fantastic rooftop pool. Solo travelers and couples love it! Click here to read more and check the rates
- InterContinental – Los Angeles Downtown, an IHG Hotel – 4* hotel with an amazing rooftop bar, the tallest open-air bar in the Western Hemisphere, and impressive panoramic views of all of Los Angeles. Especially recommended for couples Click here to read more and check the rates
2. BEVERLY HILLS
Beverly Hills: – great area to stay in Los Angeles for luxury travelers –
Beverly Hills is a centrally located and expensive neighborhood of Los Angeles.
Main points of interest in Beverly Hills are Rodeo Drive shopping street, public Beverly Gardens park, famous Melrose Avenue, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, historic Spadina House, and Tudor Revival Greystone Mansion.
Beverly Hills is one of the best places to stay in Los Angeles for luxury shopping.
Best places to stay in Los Angeles Beverly Hills:
- Four Seasons Hotel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills – impressive 5* star hotel with a superb location. Rodeo Drive and Melrose Avenue are within walking distance. Click here to read more and check the rates
- Beverly Hills Celebrity Home – a 4* star villa with a guest house, a studio, and a swimming pool. It’s located a 5-minute walk from Rodeo Drive. Click here to read more and to check the rates.
- Beverly Hills Adjacent 2-Bedroom Penthouse – a 4* star penthouse apartment with a free garage for car parking. Perfect for couples. Click here to read more and to check the rates
Hollywood: – great area to stay in Los Angeles for first-time visitors to Los Angeles; excellent for sightseeing –
This iconic LA neighborhood is centrally located covering many must-see LA tourist attractions.
Main points of interest in Hollywood are Hollywood Boulevard, Walk of Fame, TCL Chinese Theatre, Dolby Theatre, the Hollywood Bowl, Hollywood & Vine, and Ripley’s Believe It or Not! museum.
Downtown Hollywood is definitely the best place to stay in Los Angeles for first-timers since it is close to all must-see attractions in Los Angeles.
Best places to stay in Hollywood:
- Hollywood Ultimate Suites – 4* star aparthotel with a top location near Dolby Theater and Capitol Records Building. Click here to find out more and check the rates
- Elaine’s Hollywood Bed & Breakfast – a 3* bed and breakfast with one the best locations in Hollywood. Click here to read more and check the rates
4. HOLLYWOOD HILLS
Hollywood Hills: – great area to stay in Los Angeles for first-time visitors since it’s close to all the attractions, not isolated and not far, and with great city views –
Hollywood Hills is a central LA neighborhood. People who like hills, panoramic views, and serenity, appreciate Hollywood Hills.
The main attractions are the Hollywood Sign, the Hollywood Bowl, and John Anson Ford Amphitheatre. Nearby are Universal City, Studio City, Burbank, Griffith Park, and Hollywood.
Hollywood Hills is one of the best places to stay in Los Angeles for travelers who would like to be centrally located to be close to all attractions, but still away from hustle and bustle of the downtown.
Best places to stay in Hollywood Hills:
- Hollywood Hills Sanctuary – a deluxe 4* villa with an outdoor pool, spa center, and hot tub in Hollywood Hills. Click here to find out more and check the rates.
- JETLINER VIEWS IN THE HOLLYWOOD HILLs – a 4* star apartment with breathtaking views of LA . Click here to read more and to check the rates.
5. WEST HOLLYWOOD
West Hollywood: – great area to stay in Los Angeles for nightlife –
West Hollywood is a well-known neighborhood for entertainment, music, and nightlife.
The neighborhood holds numerous upscale boutiques, independent vintage shops, nightclubs, bars, rooftop bars with live music. Main attractions in West Holywood are Sunset Strip, Melrose Avenue, Schindler House, Plummer Park, the Comedy Store, Pacific Design Center, dog-friendly West Hollywood Park, and New Image Art gallery.
West Hollywood is one of the best places to stay in Los Angeles for nightlife.
Best places to stay in West Hollywood:
- 1 Hotel West Hollywood – stunning and eco-friendly 5* star located only 300 m from Sunset Strip. Click here to read more and check the rates
- Sunset Marquis Hotel – fabulous 4* star hotel full of history and located in the heart of West Hollywood with pools and green areas near the Sunset Strip. Click here to find out more
- A Touch of Cape Cod in West Hollywood – amazing 3* holiday home with 3 bedrooms and free parking. Pet-friendly. Click here to read more
Koreatown: – great area to stay in Los Angeles for shopping and nightlife –
Koreatown is a centrally located LA neighborhood, south of Hollywood and west of LA Downtown. It is known as the best Koreatown outside of Korea.
It holds the best k-pop stores, multi-level shopping malls, innovative restaurants, fashionable coffeehouses, dessert shops, flashy night clubs, and karaoke bars.
Koreatown is a great place to stay in Los Angeles for travelers who enjoy shopping and nighlife.
Best places to stay in Los Angeles Koreatown:
- The LINE Hotel – a 4* star hotel about 6 km from Hollywood and about 5 min drive from Beverly Hills and Universal Studios. Click here to find out more
- Modern New 2 Bedroom Apartment The Best LA Views! – a fantastic 4* modern apartment with stunning views in Koreatown. Click here to read more and check the rates
- Hotel Aventura – a pleasant 3* hotel in a quiet street with free parking in a big garage. Click here to read more
7. VENICE BEACH
Venice Beach: – great area to stay in Los Angeles for budget travelers –
Venice Beach is an arty, bohemian, and free-spirited neighborhood.
Main points of interest in Venice Beach: Venice Boardwalk with colorful street art, street performers, and shops, Muscle Beach outdoor gym, and Abbot Kinney Boulevard
Venice Beach is the top area to stay in Los Angeles for laid-back atmosphere and beach time.
Best places to stay in Venice Beach:
- Hotel Erwin – a 4* beachfront hotel and an open-air rooftop lounge in Venice Beach. Click here to check the rates
- Beach Front Penthouse in Marina del Rey/ Venice Beach – a 4* spacious apartment with amazing views, perfect for families. Click here to read more
- Ocean Front/View Bunk beds Free bikes – a lovely hostel with private parking in Venice Beach. Every room comes with a patio with a sea view. Click here to find out more
8. MANHATTAN BEACH
Manhattan Beach: – great area to stay in Los Angeles for beach lovers –
Manhattan Beach holds one of the best beaches in LA but less touristy than the beaches of Venice Beach and Santa Monica.
Best things to do in Manhattan Beach: visit Manhattan Beach pier, stroll the Strand, surf, play beach volley, run, skate, dine in fine restaurants, expensive oceanfront homes along the bike path, and walking lane of “The Strand”.
Manhattan Beach is a great place to stay in Los Angeles for beach lovers, families, and budget travelers.
- Westdrift Manhattan Beach, Autograph Collection – an elegant 4* hotel with spacious rooms and surrounded by a green Golf Club. Click here to read more
- Shade Hotel Manhattan Beach – a 4* hotel where each room comes with a 2-person hot tub and a balcony. Click here for more info
9. REDONDO BEACH
Redondo Beach: – great area to stay in Los Angeles for beach lovers –
Redondo Beach is a clean and pristine beach. Best things to do in Redondo Beach: the pier Redondo Village with restaurants and pubs, walking, jogging, biking, surfing, sea kayaking, paddle boarding, and scuba diving.
Redondo Beach is one of the best places to stay in Los Angeles for beach lovers.
- Shade Hotel Redondo Beach – a 4* hotel with large and modern rooms and located in front of the yacht marina in a quiet area. Click here to find out more
- Redondo Beach Hotel, Tapestry Collection by Hilton – a 3* hotel with a heated outdoor pool and excellent breakfast choices. Click here to read more
Burbank: – great area to stay in Los Angeles for road trippers and families with kids –
Burbank is the only part of LA that actually has free parking. It holds parks, family-run restaurants, and vintage shops.
Burbank is popularly called the ‘Media Capital of the World’. The main point of interests in Burbank are Warner Bros Studio, Universal Studios with The Wizarding World Of Harry Potter, Walt Disney Studios, vibrant Universal CityWalk Hollywood street, kid-friendly Stough Canyon Nature Center, Wildwood Canyon Park, Brand Park, Verdugo Mountains, Martial Arts History Museum, Brace Canyon Park, Valley Skate Park, and kid-friendly Super Silly Fun Land
Burbank is the best place to stay in Los Angeles for families with kids and if traveling by car.
Recommended stays in Burbank:
- Hotel Amarano Burbank-Hollywood – a 4* hotel with spacious rooms, an outdoor swimming pool, and 15 min walk to the Warner Brothers Studio. Click here for more info
- Cozy Cottage – Full Kitchen & At-Home Comfort – a cute and cozy apartment with 1 bedroom, a seating area, and a bathroom in a quiet area. Click here to find out more
11. BEL AIR
Bel Air: – great area to stay in Los Angeles for luxury travelers –
Bel Air is one of the most expensive neighborhoods in LA along with Beverly Hills, Brentwood, and Malibu.
The exclusive ultra-rich Holmby Hills area is a part of Bel-Air. Main points of interest in Bel Air are Hays House Museum, Ma & Pa Heritage Trail, Harford Artists Gallery, historic Tudor Hall, historical Proctor House, historical Hays-Heighe House, recreational Bynum Run Conservation Area, and intact Jerusalem Mill village.
Bel Air is the best place to stay in Los Angeles for ultra luxury travelers.
Recommended stays in Bel Air in Los Angeles:
- Hotel Bel-Air – Dorchester Collection – a spectacular and historic 5* star hotel with world-class service. Click here to find out more
- Luskin Hotel – a luxury 4* hotel with fabulous rooms, located in the Bel Air-Westwood area. Click here for more info
12. MARINA DEL REY
Marina Del Rey: – great area to stay in Los Angeles for budget travelers and ocean lovers –
Marina Del Ray is less touristy, less pricey, and quieter than Santa Monica.
It is within walking distance to Venice Beach, and even to Santa Monica. The main points of interest are Marina Beach, Fisherman’s Village boat club, fitness-friendly Yvonne B. Burke Park, and nearby Venice Beach.
Marina Del Ray is one of the best places to stay in Los Angels if traveling n budget.
Recommended stay in Marina Del Rey in Los Angeles:
- 5* Retreat Pool View Condo 3 Beds, Steps to Venice Beach – a luxe apartment with an outdoor swimming pool, a fitness center, a shared lounge, a garden, and private parking available on the site. Click here for more info
- Beach Front Penthouse in Marina del Rey/ Venice Beach – a 4* spacious apartment with amazing views, perfect for families. Click here to read more
- Marina del Rey Hotel – a wonderful 4* hotel with large modern rooms and views of the marina. Click here to find out more
RELATED: Best Airbnbs in Santa Monica
13. SILVER LAKE
Silver lake: – great area to stay in Los Angeles for hipsters and alike –
Silverlake is known for modernist architecture, street art, vegan cafes, trendy bars, and live music.
The main points of interests in Silverlake are the Silver Lake Reservoir with recreation area, Silver Lake Meadows park, arty Micheltorena Stairs, dog-friendly Silver Lake Dog Park, Music Box Steps, historic Paramour Estate, Sunset Triangle Plaza, historic Sunset Junction (the point where Santa Monica Blvd intersects with Sunset Blvd), and Chandelier Tree in Drive-Thru Tree Park.
Recommended stay in Silver Lake:
- The Big Bungalow B&B – a lovely Bed and Breakfast with a large bedroom, a great deck, and free parking in Silver Lake. Click here to read more
- Sanborn Guest House – a charming guesthouse with a cozy room and a lovely garden, near great cafes in Silver Lake. Click here for more info
14. CULVER CITY
Culver City: – great area to stay in Los Angeles for budget travelers who rely on public transit –
Culver City is centrally located between Los Angeles and Santa Monica, not too far from Hollywood and Santa Monica.
Main points of interest in Culver City are MGM Studios (now part of Sony Pictures Studios), Culver Studios, and Amazon Studios.
Recommended places to stay in Culver City:
- The Culver Hotel – a 4* hotel with amazing room design and a great bar for socializing in the evenings. It’s located 1 km from the Sony Pictures Studio. Click here to read more
- Palihotel Culver City – a great value for money 4* hotel in a renovated historic building in downtown Culver City. Click here for more info
- Mayumi – a motel-like 3* hotel in Culver City near Los Angeles International Airport. Click here to find out more
15. SHERAMAN OAKS
Sherman Oaks: – great area to stay in Los Angeles for budget travelers. It’s a great area to stay in Los Angeles for travelers who plan to see beyond LA since it has easy access to Santa Monica and LA. –
Sherman Oaks is an affluent and peaceful suburban community in the San Fernando Valley with upscale malls, lovely eateries, and quirky boutiques.
It is located at the convergence of the 101 and 405 freeways with easy access to Santa Monica, and LA or further north to Santa Barbara. Main points of interest: Van Eaton Galleries, Deervale-Stone Canyon Park with hiking trails, Charles & Lotte Melhorn Overlook of the San Fernando Valley, Dixie Canyon Park with hiking trails.
Best places to stay in Sherman Oaks:
- Best Western Plus Carriage Inn – a pet-friendly 4* hotel with a fitness center and outdoor swimming pool. Click here to read more
- Sweet Dreams B&B LA – a family-friendly 3* star Bed and Breakfast with a shared kitchen, an outdoor pool and free private parking. Click here for more info
- Courtyard Los Angeles Sherman Oaks – a lovely 3* star hotel within a short drive from Malibu Beach and the Universal Studios Hollywood. Click here to check it out
16. PACIFIC PALISADES
Pacific Palisades: – great area to stay in LA for families and outdoor enthusiasts –
Pacific Palisades is one of the lushest neihboorhoods in Los Angeles with spectacular ocean views and impressive hiking trails.
It is an affluent residential neighborhood next to Santa Monica. The main points of interest in Pacific Palisades are Temescal Gateway Park with hiking trails, Getty Villa museum, Potrero Canyon Park Will Rogers State Beach, mid-century Eames House, weekly farmer’s market, and Santa Monica Stairs.
Recommended place to stay in Pacific Palisades:
- Heaven’s Best Kept Secret 4 Min From The Sea – a wonderful family-friendly 3* with a fitness center, a shared lounge, a tennis court, and a children’s playground. Click here to read more
17. SANTA MONICA
Santa Monica: – great area to stay for beach lovers and fine dining foodies –
Santa Monica is one of the nicest places to stay but also somewhat touristy and pricey.
Santa Monica is a vibrant beach neighborhood with many fine restaurants, bars, cafes …It is a good base if visiting LA by car. Main attractions in Santa Monica are Santa Monica pier, Heal the Bay Aquarium, the Pacific Park, Santa Monica State Beach, Route 66 End of the Trail, Annenberg Community Beach House, 3rd Street Promenade, Ocean Avenue with fine dining and lodging, Tongva Park, and Bergamot Station Arts Center.
Best places to stay in Santa Monica:
- Santa Monica Proper Hotel, a Member of Design Hotels -a superb luxury 5* hotel in a 1928 landmark building with world-class service and deluxe rooms with the top location in Santa Monica. Click here to find out more
- Casa Del Mar – a magnificent 5* hotel with deluxe rooms, an outdoor pool, and a hot tub. Each room has a hydrotherapy spa tub. Click here for more info
- Modern Studio in Santa Monica – a spacious 4* apartment with modern design. It is within a 10 min walk from Santa Monica beach. Click here to read more
18. WOODLAND HILLS
Woodland Hills: – great for the budget and nature-loving travelers who seek for not-touristy stay –
Woodland Hills is an upscale and family-friendly neighborhood in the San Fernando Valley with easy access to the famous beaches of Malibu.
Best places to stay in Woodland Hills:
- Hilton Woodland Hills/ Los Angeles – a 4* hotel with an on-site restaurant and amazing food. Click here to read more
- Courtyard by Marriott Los Angeles Woodland Hills – a 3* hotel with spacious rooms, an on-site restaurant, and an outdoor pool. Click here to find out more
Malibu: – great for luxury travelers, and nature lovers who travel by car –
Malibu is a posh residential community with celebrities’ houses. Main attractions in Malibu are Getty Villa, Adamson House Museum, Malibu Lagoon State Beach, Point Dume Natural Reserve with some great hikes, Zuma Beach with great surf spots, Malibu Creek State Park, Solstice Canyon. Santa Monica is about 20 min drive from Malibu.
Best places to stay in Malibu:
- Calamigos Guest Ranch and Beach Club – a 5* pet-friendly resort an exclusive beachfront Beach Club and a huge ranch in the Malibu Wine Country. Amazing property! Click here to find out more
- Malibu Beach Inn – a 4* star resort with a luxury spa and deluxe all oceanfront rooms. Click here for more info
RELATED: 13 BEST Malibu Beach House Rentals
Topanga: – great for nature lovers, bohemians, and alike –
Topanga in the Santa Monica mountains is a laid-back, bohemian, and arty neighborhood with a scenic drive down the Santa Monica mountains to Santa Monica bay.
The main points of interest in Topanga are Topanga State Park with the canyon trails, Topanga Beach, Parker Meas Overlook, and Trippet Ranch with hiking trails. Nearby are Santa Monica State Beach and Malibu Lagoon State Beach.
Topanga with the rural-vibe is one of the best places to stay in LA if visiting Los Angeles as a stop on a larger road trip.
Recommended stay in Topanga:
- Topanga Canyon Inn Bed and Breakfast – a 3* cozy and family-run Bed and Breakfast with full American breakfast in a quiet location in the mountains near amazing hikes. Click here for more info
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY: